View Single Post
Old 04-09-07, 02:44 AM   #24
Slammin

Default Re: AMD layes off employees,in seeking cost savings

AMD will hopefully get an influx of cash from somewhere/some investor. That is the only way they can stay afloat. Sure they garnered some respect from large businesses but most large company's lease their servers and workstations, and equipment turn-around is a lot shorter as a result. The next lease rolls over the next few months will probably start swinging towards machines with the Intel CPU's again. Worse, AMD had the performance crown for quite a long while before I started seeing machines with AMD cpu's at my job. So there is also a huge lag factor. I don't think the lag swinging back to Intel will be near as long though.

If AMD cannot regain a foothold in a hurry, and they probably won't - can't, all bets are off that they remain viable unless someone hands them some cash, or Intel buys them :-) (man, that would suck!) Where is 3DFX? The cycle up one-upping the competition has much more effect these days than it did 10 years ago. Brand loyalty makes little business sense anymore.
2x EVGA 580GTX 1.5GB Sli
2x 74GB Sata Raptor Raid0
2x 320GB Hitachi Sata II
X-FI Elite Pro
Dell U3011
Lian Li V2100B
Corsair HX1000
Slammin is offline   Reply With Quote