Fedora Core 6: Linux edanweb2 2.6.20-1.2933.fc6 #1 SMP Mon Mar 19 11:38:26 EDT 2007 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
Removed compiz, just in case that was interfering.
I've been having a pretty serious issue with getting this card to install. It installs physically fine, the newest drivers seem to install, and yet it I've had a crazy amount of problems.
Order of Insanities.
- FC6, FC7, Ubuntu 6.10 openSuSE 10.1, all fail to launch their installers due to their use of the "nv" driver by default for nvidia devices, which crashes X on startup with this card. Workaround: Install in text mode using "linux i686 text" with FC6.
- FC6 Text install works. Boot to graphical mode fails everytime.Workaround: Modified /etc/grub.conf to boot into init 3
- Maybe it's a bad installation? Attempted to boot into init 5 with an ATI Rage 128 card in system and the nvidia card removed. Worked FINE
- Maybe it's an issue with the nvidia driver packaging? Let's try the livna version. Removed nvidia drivers and installed via yum install kmod-nvidia the livna versions. No change
- Well, let's at least go back to the originals... Removed livna drivers, reinstalled nvidia drivers from nvidia's website. Now X just hangs when loading the libglx.so module
I'm not nearly a linux guru, but I do believe things may be wrong when I do a modprobe nvidia and get:
Verify ELF error (assertion 82)
Module failed ELF checks
FATAL: Error inserting nvidia (/lib/modules/2.6.20-1.2933.fc6/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko): Accessing a corrupted shared library
If anyone would be able to look at my bug report and tell me I'm doing something stupid, that would be awesome. If they can look at it and tell me I need a new card, that'd be fine too (although the card works perfectly well in windows, I do understand that some cards just don't like to be compatible with linux).
Either way, thank you for your time and have a wonderful evening.