Old 04-10-07, 02:30 AM   #6
zelko

Default Re: Hardware openGL without X

energyman76b,
Whose/what question you answering?

since you do not seem to answer any question, or ask any,
i guess, then, you're talking to me..

this is the question and what this should be about:
"Would it be theoretically possible to use hardware accelerated openGL without X?"

answer is - YES,
unfortunately not with nvidia drivers, which means no full hw accel.
but, you can still do a lot, chek out demos in myOS (12.8Mb), like gears, gears2, sharks(atlantis)... and notice the FPS

my questions, between the lines, were these:

>would it not be crazy if you had to, say... install MS Word just so you can have keyboard support and be able to type in command prompt?!

or

>why i need X just to use my GeForce?

* can nvidia, please, make(convert exisiting) drivers for low-level Linux?
* or let me or anyone else do that?
* why not?
* is it 'too' hard?
* is it, somehow, not economical company decision?
* do they not have time, money?
* who would not benefit?
* have they not thought of it?

but, really
* IS IT NOT RIGHT WAY TO DO IT?
build 'X'-like windowing system with OpenGL, as you normally would any other graphic app.
...just look Compiz and Beryl struggling to grab hold of OpenGL in X, is it not only natural that your window manager is OpenGL program that needs not to sweat, blink and freeze just to move few bitmaps(windows) around the desktop?

* WOULD IT NOT BE EASIER then "bundling" drivers with X?

>"First of all, nothing is going to replace X, because of all the X apps."
-not relevant, "..OpenGL without X?" was question, replacing X is not important until, but there is a whole point - cant replace X if i need X in the 1st place to use OpenGL... all those X apps could only benefit with smaller size and greater speed if managed with anything even similar to OpenGL API

>"But besides of that - the snap-drivers are dead."
-"dead", what that means? what lives - dies, drivers stop working
"snap-drivers work", is more correct statement
all the drivers source code and supporting API documentation is available on their site and even more OpenGL and other demos including game DOOM, everything working quite nicely and WITH SOURCE CODE

what drivers are "alive"?
what drivers do you suggest?
(i've tried them all, as far as i know)

>"If you can read german..."
>"in short: development of the snap drivers was stopped."
-huh? whats your agenda? i spoke to Scitech's GM, they are selling SNAP/MGL technology, drivers are of HIGH standard and were not free because they are good and had they market, just recently they went GPL and released source code, "core" development was stopped probably some time ago, but only because it WORKED! and with the time they only had to include new hardware support, or new extensions and graphic specifications, but that was limited, of course, with information that does not go out of nvidia or ati doors, considering all that, long list of supported hardware and the performance of scitech drivers is quite amazing!

these are not just graphic drivers, but complete i/o, interrupt and other device drivers, ALL you need to build complete OS or app like X.

do you want me, or others not to use scitech drivers for some reason?

what drivers do you suggest?

btw,
i dont work for scitech, i love my nvidia (winXP) cards, and apprecite their efforts to help developer community and other stuff, and i wish their Linux drivers are not dependant of X ...or MS Windows for that matter! look, scitech does this for DOS as well, and its even more complete, and hw accelerated, is it not great that you can deploy your OpenGL app on a Live CD or USB with minimal OS to run them, and many other things you can do with compact system..
more here: http://one.xthost.info/zelko/opengl.html

its simple,
if you want "OpenGL without X" and manage to do it with anything but scitech, especially nvidia drivers, please let me know!

>"Btw, I hated the scitech snap drivers..."
-ok, i see you're angry there... but, what drivers do you suggest?

please, what say you?
zelko is offline   Reply With Quote