View Single Post
Old 04-11-07, 11:45 AM   #22
ad hoc
My spoon is too big...

Default Re: Looking for TV Help (new purchase)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK
Well, I don't know how DLP are *supposed* to perform off of the sales floor (which may be different given the lighting, etc) but from what I can see, they aren't any better than conventional rear projection TV's when it comes to viewing angles. Which doesn't mean that they are absolutely horrible, but they don't compare to newer LCD's.

Plus LCD's are now able to easily cross into the 1080p range for larger displays. Plasma and DLP have a harder time with this, except for the type of DLP screens that project the 3 different base colors simultaneously, but those are extremely expensive.
I agree completely with your conclusion of plasmas, especially the older models which tended to be 1024x768. However, I think my TV does a pretty decent job of 1080p resolution with only a single DLP chip, and it is a 56" TV at less than $2000. Granted, the DLP chip has "only" 960x1080 physical mirrors, and the full 1920x1080 pixel image is generated by using an external rotating mirror that shifts the image multiple times a second so that the image is displayed temporally as such (assuming we are looking at four mirrors, but displaying 8 pixels):

1 2 1 2
1 2 1 2

but it's still 1080p as long as you are viewing images over intervals greater than 33us (the switching time of the DLP mirrors). That's orders of magnitude better than the response time of any LCD.

Just let me know of your particular requirements for some image captures.