View Single Post
Old 04-15-07, 07:14 PM   #1
Gezza

Default Asus A8V & SATA2 Drives - I'm confused.

Specs:

A8V Deluxe motherboard
SATA2 Seagate Barracuda 320GB HDD

Scenario:

I currently have 2 IDE HDD already in the machine. These I wish to retain and one of them set as the primary/boot device on XP Pro. I wish to add the SATA drive (a single drive) purely as a data drive.

OK. So my research indicates that this motherboard is not SATA2 compatible but is SATA1. The drive is SATA2. I've read that I can jumper the throughput to 1.5Gb/s and this should work. No problem there. The confusion comes in when I go into the BIOS.

The A8V motherboard has 4 SATA connectors. 2 x SATA and 2 x SATA RAID.
No to achieve the above scenario, which connectors do I use on the motherboard?

Then, in the BIOS, there are two SATA settings (3 actually, but one is a subsetting)
- OnChip SATA boot ROM
and
- OnBoard Promise Controller
>Operating Mode [RAID Mode/IDE Mode]

Enabling either or both of these with/withou IDE/RAID and trying different physical connectors on the Motherboard doesn't seem to detect the drive at all. I'm not sure if I have missed a configuration or not performed something to get it to work. As I only have one SATA drive I can't even tell if the drive itself is the problem.

Can anyone please tell me the BIOS settings, the process (i.e. connect drive, reset BIOS etc) and connectors I should be using. It takes so long when the drive isn't detected I haven't been able to find a solution.
Gezza is offline   Reply With Quote