Thread: To HTPC Peeps
View Single Post
Old 04-16-07, 06:09 PM   #2
Bman212121

Default Re: To HTPC Peeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm
I've been interested in making backups of my DVD collection onto my storage server/HTPC and I had a question. Which one of these two methods are better for ripping a DVD and backing it up for later use?

1: Ripping the DVD (main feature only or the entire disc), not converting any of the files and running a program like "Matinee" that plays TS_VIDEO files and such.

OR

2: Ripping the DVD (main feature only or the entire disc), converting the movie to MPEG or AVI (or any other high quality format) and just running it under VLC or what not.

Just wondering, I'd like to keep the HDD space to the max (I only have a 80GB HDD) and get as many movies/music/other stuff on there as I can. Any suggestions would help.

EDIT: Also, what about getting the best quality? I have a 32" Westinghouse LCD at 720p and I'd like to have the movies upconverted for the best quality, while keeping the storage space in mind.
You'll want to re-ecode the vids if you want max storage. If you just rip the main movie, it will be between 4 - 6GB per movie because it is encoded in MPEG-2. If you re-encode them into divx or xvid, you can shrink them down to half the size, or even smaller without losing any quality.

If your software was able to upconvert the movies than I would imagine it would look better using 720p upscaled sources versus normal res and stretching the image. The only problem is that the 720p files would take a lot of space. If you just play a regular dvd on a pc running at 720p, they already look pretty good, so I probably wouldn't go through the hassle of trying to upscale them. I'm not even sure of software that will do that for you, or if your hardware is going to do it automatically.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote