View Single Post
Old 05-16-03, 02:39 PM   #13
bwkaz

Quote:
Originally posted by duvvid
This is not true.

This was only required for one (now outdated) kernel release, due to a packaging bug. The details are in the FAQ section of the NVidia README file.
I've read that section, and despite what it says, there are different processor architectures that RedHat builds kernels for. They include a config file for each of them in the configs directory.

However, it is completely impossible to configure the actual sources (what make *config does) for more than one architecture at a time. If the sources as you install them are configured for i386 (I don't know if they are or not, but if so), and your running kernel was built against a .config for i686, or whatever, then the driver you build with those sources WILL NOT WORK.

Quote:
Originally posted by dpw2atox
I upgraded my compiler to 3.2.3 from 3.2.2 and I think thats what is causing my problem. Anyone know how I can make installing the driver work or do I have to manually compile a kernel to make it work?
Yes, this is what's causing the problem. Your kernel was compiled with 3.2.3 (or whatever RedHat used...), and your current system compiler is 3.2.2. In this specific case (assuming the numbers as posted were correct, and you downgraded one version), then doing export IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH=1 and then rerunning the installer should work.

However, if anyone in the future reads this and thinks "oh, I can just export IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH", no, you probably can't. There are MAJOR differences between compiler versions, especially gcc 2 to gcc 3, but even between 3.1 and 3.2, that will cause driver problems. The correct solution is to recompile the kernel with the system compiler, then boot to it, but if (and ONLY if) the two compilers in question are similar enough, you can ignore the mismatch.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote