View Single Post
Old 04-25-07, 09:43 PM   #3
imrazor

Question Re: Have to rebuild 9631 after every boot

Tried all that. When I ran "apt-get remove --purge nvidia-glx-legacy" and "apt-get remove --purge nvidia-glx" I got a message to the effect that no packages were installed. Just to be thorough, I then ran "apt-get install nvidia-glx-legacy" then immediately ran "apt-get install remove --purge nvidia-glx-legacy" to make absolutely sure every last trace of it was removed. I got the same API mismatch. I then manually tracked down /lib/modules/2.6.20-15-generic/kernel/drivers/nvidia.ko, deleted it and watched the installer rebuild it. Same problem. Then I noticed that nvidia kernel modules were being rebuilt spontaneously every reboot in /lib/modules/2.6.20-15-generic/volatile. I deleted those, rebooted, same problem. Those modules had magically reappeared in the same place.

That gave me a brilliant (or lame, depending on how you look at it) idea and I added these lines to /etc/rc.local:

/sbin/rmmod nvidia
/sbin/insmod /lib/modules/2.6.20-15-generic/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko.

This removed the bogus 7184 module that seems to magically regenerate at every boot and loaded the good 9631 module from the correct place. Now I get an X login at every boot.

This is a rather lame kludge, and I'd like to do this properly. Does anyone know why the modules in /volatile/ are reappearing at every boot?
imrazor is offline   Reply With Quote