View Single Post
Old 05-18-03, 11:26 AM   #3
digitalwanderer

Default Re: My thoughts on "Optimization"

Quote:
Originally posted by jimmyjames123
1) Image quality was NOT compromised with the new FX 44.03 driver. In fact, most people have noted improvements in Image Quality, even in 3dmark03.

2) All images in 3dmark03 that we actually SEE are rendered correctly.
Well, that is definately a nice summation of one popular point of view around here. There seems to be just about as many people though who'd jump up and say something like, "But it is a BENCHMARK, and it is meant to be run in a certain way so as to give an accurate comparison of performance. nVidia's driver cheats compromise that by bypassing the benchmark's parameters, which is NOT optimizing but is fraudulently inflating their scores to sell more cards."

I'm one of them people.

Now if this were a GAME we were talking about I would agree with you, as optimizations that don't affect image quality/what you see ARE pure optimizations and nothing but a benefit to the consumer....but this ain't a game and the cheating is cheeseball.
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote