View Single Post
Old 05-18-03, 04:00 PM   #37
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by jimmyjames123
They are not consistent in their methods for "normalization". To exclude non-WHQL drivers for their results browser, while at the same time allowing overclocked gpu's and cpu's, is not very consistent IMHO.
I still just don't get that one. It's like saying that a race isn't fair because all the cars use different engines & transmissions, while the "optimizations" are flat-out changing the track one car is driving on.

Quote:
And this is pure speculation. We don't know the details so all we can do is speculate. However, considering that they don't have authorized access, if NVIDIA did use the developers version that would be considered "cheating" as well correct? Or would that be simply level the playing field?
I don't know, but if they used it to include clip planes in to artificially inflate the score and invalidate the test than I'd consider that "cheating".

Quote:
digitalwanderer, I read your post at ATI Rage3d fan site (you have 6000 posts there, wow!).
Yup and about 4500 at DriverHeaven and another 3600 or so over at RageUnderground even though I'm permanently banned there (even though it doesn't SHOW I'm permanently banned from there...Andre is such a cheeseball! ). I got bored on Friday and added some of the sites I hang at most and figure I got about 15-16K posts or so...what's your point?

Quote:
"nvidia is flat-out freaking busted cheating in their new FX drivers!". For some reason, I gather that you take more joy out of this issue than it really warrants.
Now that is entirely a matter of opinion and I figure I can get me jollies over whatever I wish. I don't deny I'm enjoying nVidia's getting busted, they've been full of hubris for way too long and it's damned refreshing to see 'em suffer for it now.

Quote:
Remember we are only talking about a benchmark that many people feel is not representative of real-world gaming performance, and we are talking about an issue that doesn't actually affect image quality in what we can normally see. The FX Detonator 44.03 drivers have shown significant improvements in image quality and performance for a wide variety of gaming benchmarks for the FX cards.
Again, the relative values of 3dm2k3 are a subjective call...but the fact that nVidia is short-cutting the intent of the test is not.

You can argue if it's right or wrong of them to short-cut the intent, but methinks the fact that they are is pretty well established.

nVidia has been flat-out lying to the consumer lately and YES that honks me off! VERY much so, I find it reprehensible.

They have a great product, there is no reason for them to lie about it!
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote