View Single Post
Old 05-09-07, 04:27 PM   #66
drbisio

Default Re: nVidia driver 1.0-96xx causes glitches, artifacts and crashes on Ubuntu Edgy/Feisty

Hello,
After many tryes, I have succeeded in installing the Nvidia 9631 driver, but there are problems with it.

I have followed these instructions found in a guide in the italian ubuntu forum:

-1- stopped the kdm manager from console
-2- gave the cmd: "sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9631-pkg1.run -n -s --x-prefix=/usr/lib/xorg/ --kernel-source-path=/usr/src/linux-headers-'uname -r'
-3- gave the cmd: "sudo nvidia-xconfig --no-composite"
-4- modified the last line in "/etc/default/linux-restricted-modules-common" file like this:"DISABLED_MODULES="nv"
-5- added the following lines in the xorg.conf file, at the section "Device":
-5a - BusID "PCI:2:0:0" #the pci address was gained from Kinfo center
-5b - Option "NVAGP" "0"
-5c - Option "RenderAccel" "off"
-5d - Option "IgnoreDisplayDevices" "DFP,TV"
-5e - Option "NoRenderExtensions" "off"
-5f - Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" "off"
-5g - Option "Accel" "off"

After this procedure I try to restart the x-server.

If I use the command "/etc/init.d/kdm restart" the KDE environment starts, but suddenly hangs when the desktop manager is loading;
if I use the command "startx", after login, the KDE environment seems to start, but I experience some of the same glitches described in other posts of this thread (ex. menus not drawn correctly, overlapping graphics and text, faulty scrollings etc.)

Please note that, if I omit to add the "BusID" and "Option" entries in the xorg.conf, I can't start the x-server at all (this entries were suggested to fix stability problems in the guide I found, but I don't know what they do precisely...)

Here I submit the copy of my "xorg.conf" file and some log files;
"nvidia-bug-report1.log" file was generated after my first attempt to restart KDE via the "kdm restart" command;
"nvidia-bug-report2.log" and "xorg.0.log" was generated after restarting the x-server via "startx" command.

PS: my graphic device is a "GeForce2 integrated GPU" (id 0x01A0) integrated in my A7N266VM Asus mobo.

Really hope someone could help....
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report2.log (110.4 KB, 153 views)
File Type: log Xorg.0.log (36.4 KB, 140 views)
File Type: txt xorg.conf.txt (4.6 KB, 154 views)
File Type: zip nvidia-bug-report1.log.zip (34.9 KB, 129 views)
drbisio is offline   Reply With Quote