View Single Post
Old 05-11-07, 03:47 PM   #69
IntuitiveNipple

Exclamation Re: nVidia driver 1.0-96xx causes glitches, artifacts and crashes on Ubuntu Edgy/Feis

I tried again, installing Ubuntu 7.10 Desktop to a reformatted disk on the same Asus A7N266VM motherboard.

This time I had the wired Ethernet (100Mbs) connected and Internet access available from the start. (During the previous install was expecting the Wireless network to connect, but it failed).

When Feisty booted for the first time it immediately notified updates were available and I let it install them before doing anything else. (Previously, I had to manually do this and left it until I'd done some other messing about).

This time Restricted Driver Manager responded correctly. When I enabled the Nvidia driver it downloaded an update, installed it, and asked to reboot.

After reboot, the gdm log-in screen appeared. Again the top half was missing but this time it was black - it didn't have the remains of the Nvidia splash-screen showing.

After log-in the desktop seemed okay. From a shell prompt I ran "glxgears -info" and the gears themselves appeared good, and the frame rate was about 515-550 fps.

After closing glxgears and starting other applications, parts of windows again failed to draw, were drawn very slowly, or corrupted in some other way.
IntuitiveNipple is offline   Reply With Quote