View Single Post
Old 05-13-07, 05:04 PM   #51
DJB
Geezer Gamer

Default Re: Played Everquest 2 for the first time...

EQ2 messed with memory big time. From time to time the develope memory leasks in it, but by far the worst is that it allocates and additional page of VM for every page of physical memory is uses. So, even if I have 2GB of ram, and I have 1.5GB free, if EQ2 loads up and grabs 1GB of it, it also increases the swap file by 1GB, even though I have yet to max out my physical memory.
Also, EQ2 has a bad habit of failing to release memory when you zone to a new zone. Go ahead and run from zone to zone in Qeynos for a bit and see what happens to your memory, and virtual memory.

The game runs fine when you first start it, but once it begins all the "paging with every step" behavior, you are going to get jerky slow downs.

I still like to play when I have time, but I find that once again I have to log off and back on every 30 min or so to loose the jerkiness. They had this licked for a time a year or so ago, but in some update or expansion they screwed it up again and can't ever seem to figure it out or get a handle on it.

DJB
Mobo ASUS Rampage III Extreme | CPU Intel i7980X @ 4Ghz | Mem 6GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 | Vid EVGA GTX570SC 875/1750/4300 | WD VelociRaptor 300GB,WD Raptor 150GB, WD Caviar Black 640GB SATAII HD, Seagate 160GB 7200RPM SATA HD |Liteon SATA DVDRW | Logitech Z-680 speakers|Dell 20" 2005FPW LCD | O/S Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit :: Dell XPS Gen2, 2Ghz PentiumM, 2GB Ram, go7800GTX at 430/1200, 100GB HD, WinXP Pro SP3
DJB is offline   Reply With Quote