View Single Post
Old 05-15-07, 11:10 AM   #3
IFailAtLinux

Default Re: Feisty -> AMD64 -> Failed to initialize the NVIDIA graphics device PCI:1:0:0

Quote:
If you are seeing severe stability problems and you are using a Linux 2.6 SMP kernel on a system with multiple processors (or processor cores) in combination with more than one GPU, please search the output of `dmesg` for the presence of the message below after the system has just been started:

PCI: Using MMCONFIG

If this message is present, please boot the system with the pci=nommconf kernel parameter and check if the stability problems continue to reproduce.

If your system is equipped with a dual-core processor, booting with the idle=poll kernel parameter may improve reliability with some Linux kernels.
Uhh, no, I don't use Symmetric MultiProcessing kernel, and I'm on system with one processor...

Quote:
f you are using a Linux/x86-64 2.6 kernel and see the warning message below during the installation and/or in the system log file(s) when the NVIDIA kernel module is loaded, please upgrade your kernel to Linux 2.6.11 or a more recent stable Linux 2.6 release. Linux/x86-64 2.6 kernels < Linux 2.6.11 have an accounting bug in their implementation of the change_page_attr() interface that can trigger a kernel BUG(). The 1.0-7174 and 1.0-7676 NVIDIA Linux/x86-64 graphics driver releases work around this problem by disabling use of the change_page_attr() interface on these kernels.
Umm, no matter what the messages are, I have kernel 2.6.20, so it doesn't really concern me...

Quote:
If you are using the 1.0-7676 NVIDIA Linux/x86-64 graphics driver release and a Linux/x86-64 2.6 kernel < Linux 2.6.11, but know that your kernel has a working implementation of the change_page_attr() kernel interface function (e.g. RHEL4's Linux 2.6.9-22.3.EL beta kernel), you can pass the NVIDIA kernel module the NVreg_UseCPA=1 kernel module option to re-enable use of this interface. The 1.0-8174 and more recent NVIDIA Linux graphics driver releases will automatically detect affected kernels and enable use of the change_page_attr() interface when it is safe to use.
Umm, I have much more recent versions than mentioned, so it should happen automatically.

Quote:
If you are using a Linux/x86-64 kernel >= Linux 2.6.11 and < Linux 2.6.14, please also see http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=57990 for important information on updating the 1.0-7174 or 1.0-7676 NVIDIA Linux/x86-64 graphics driver releases to work around a kernel bug in the global_flush_tlb() kernel interface function. If you are using the 1.0-8174 or a more recent NVIDIA Linux graphics driver release, no manual update is necessary.
I don't use linux kernel mentioned above, and even if I did no manual update would be necessary...

Quote:
#

# If you see warning messages similar to those below in the system log file(s) when starting the X server or OpenGL applications, then please update your kernel. If the problem persists with the latest distribution kernel, then please contact your distributor and submit a bug report to linux-bugs@nvidia.com. Please also read the section on Cache Aliasing in the NVIDIA Linux graphics driver README.

NVRM: bad caching on address 0x100362d0000: actual 0x163 != expected 0x173
NVRM: bad caching on address 0x100362d1000: actual 0x163 != expected 0x173
NVRM: bad caching on address 0x1003be7c000: actual 0x163 != expected 0x173
NVRM: bad caching on address 0x1003be7d000: actual 0x163 != expected 0x173
So, except for starting with 'NVRM:' those messages and those you pointed don't seem too simmilar...

Quote:
For any problem that involves instability, you should always verify that you are using the most recently released BIOS for the motherboard.
Due to this: http://tw.giga-byte.com/Support/Moth...ProductID=1784
I have the newest(F19) BIOS already...

So, yeah, it's subtle way to admit, that either I don't understand what I read(which is possible, as I fail at linux) or I didn't do my homework before posting(but I did...).
So, umm, how did reading this was supposed to explain me anything? I don't know what to look at._. Come on, explaining this will be like 2-3 sentences :/
IFailAtLinux is offline   Reply With Quote