View Single Post
Old 05-15-07, 12:27 PM   #72
js22

Default Re: 1080i Resolution unused by nvidia-auto-select on 60-inch HDTV, [ Sony KDS-R60XBR1

So I think I finally "fixed" my 1080i problem ! Okay, I'm too much of a spaz to actually remember to bring all my log and bug and conf files in to work on my thumb drive, but here's what I did.

I tried using the EDID-reported modes from my CRT TV (Sony 34XBR970) for 1080i. That produced a nice display of the top half of the desktop, the bottom half was invisible below the lower edge of the TV screen. I tried the "workaraounds" mentioned waay back in this thread, but only managed to produce either a) modes that my TV could not sync to - TV indicated no signal, or b) modes that my TV seemed to sync to, but showed only a blank screen. I tried quite a few of the modelines that various people posted here and in other forums. No luck.

What finally worked - and I have no idea why - was to change the "+hsync +vsync" to "-hsync -vsync", and otherwise keep all of the parameters from the EDID-reported 1080i mode. I noticed that some of the EDID-reported modes (but NOT the 1080i) had negative sync polarity, so I just figured why not try it.

This was all done minutes before rushing (re-rushing ?) out the door for work this morning, so I haven't had a chance to tweak it much. Definitely needs some adjustment to correct for overscan. And in my haste, I tested it by playing a recording of 1080i video (which I now realize was de-interlaced) so I haven't really given it the acid test - 1080i displayed at 1080i. But the video looked good.

On the downside, normal computer graphics - desktop, text, etc., don't look as nice. Lots of flicker. But I guess that's what you'd expect for an interlaced display at such a low rate (60 Hz = 30 Hz per field). If I'm just screwing around on the computer or watching progressive video sources, I guess I'll stick to 720p. But for 1080i, it feels like I'm getting close !
js22 is offline   Reply With Quote