View Single Post
Old 05-17-07, 01:10 PM   #23
911medic
Is it football season yet

Default Re: Thinking of trying Linux...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1
WRT your edit - Yes. The only time you would need to access your bios is when you want to boot linux, or switch back to windows. If you were to leave your win hdd as the 1st boot device and not change it for a month you'd never notice a difference.

Fwiw, dual booting this way is extremely painless. Each OS will 'see' the other hdd and OS (although win won't recognize lin) but that's it.

if you were to use the GRUB boot loader, it sets everything up for you, and changing the default hdd is easier than editing a resolution for a game in it's config file.

But here I go getting long-winded.

You can install linux the "bios" way, and never have to change a thing til the time you decide to go in. If you don't like it, it's as easy as opening disk management in wiindows and deleting the linux partition.
I see. Are you able to access files on each HDD? For example, if there are pictures or mp3's on the Windows HDD, will Linux be able to see them (and vice-versa)?

Sorry for all the questions. I appreciate your patience.
E4300 @ 3GHz (lapped) || Tuniq Tower 120 (lapped) || Gigabyte EP45-UD3L || eVGA 8800GTS 640MB @ 648/1512/999 || 6GB DDR2-800 @ 5-5-5-15|| 74GB Raptor || 80GB Caviar || 250GB WD || Corsair HX520W || Samsung 225BW 22" LCD (1680x1050) || X-Fi XtremeGamer || Win7 RC x64 || Antec SX1040BII Server Tower || Altec-Lansing ATP3 Speakers
No comprehension to fail; I vacuum the wind for my sail
Can't be the rest; Let others waste my time?
Owning success is the bottom line

911medic is offline   Reply With Quote