View Single Post
Old 05-21-03, 12:30 PM   #1
TinheadNed

Send a message via ICQ to TinheadNed
Default Surround sound for Nforce1?

I've got an nForce A7N266C or something like that, with the 5.1 surround card onboard. I've got sound working nicely on my system now, through ALSA, although it worked okay in OSS.

However, I haven't worked out how to get 5.1 sound working. The kernel OSS driver says that it detects 6 channels but can only support 2 (due to limitations of the driver as I understand it) and the NVidia patch for the driver doesn't seem to change much apart from adding PCI IDs to the detection.

I installed ALSA (as it has 5.1 support in it) and it finds a channel called Surround, but doesn't seem to do anything with it.

I've got 5.1 speakers here, so you can imagine that playing them like they're stereo sounds a bit tinny and nasty (not counting having to reboot to WinXP to watch DVDs).

Am I doing something wrong, or is there currently no 5.1 support for the nForce1? If there isn't, will there be soon, as I really like NVidia's linux support at the moment, but would like to remove Windows from my computers entirely soon, and at the moment I can't. I'm running Gentoo Linux so everything should be at their most up to date.

I read the other post in this forum that focussed on sound, but I'm not bothered about the SP/DIF output.

Any help would be appreciated.
TinheadNed is offline   Reply With Quote