View Single Post
Old 05-24-07, 09:07 AM   #40
Ancient
Occasional User

Default Re: Nobody Wants EU Version Of Vista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar

That's harsh.

Granted, I have feisty fawn and I occasionally dabble with it, but it's a bloody waste of time with all the tools I use and the sheer quantity of stuff that simply will not work at this time on ubuntu without some serious work.

I neither have the time nor the inclination to "tinker" in order to get things to work. Sort of why the N version of the os's are not selling like the bundled versions.
I hear ya. I first installed Linux almost 10 years ago and literally spent hours and hours reading through manpages to learn how to configure this, that, and the other. I ended up becoming relatively proficient at it and it was a fun OS to get your geek on. Ultimately though it didn't suit my needs and didn't run many of the applications I used so I found myself booting into it less and less. Sure it was free and it was a throwback to the days when you had to stick your hands ion the configuration guts of the OS, which was fun in a nostalgic sort of way, but the time commitment factor just made it too much of a PITA. The saying "Linux is only free if your time is free" is all too true. And, imo, all this niggling about security and uninstalls is really nothing more than that - niggling.

As far as Vista N, I wonder if Gates doesn't mind spending a few hundred million so he can chuckle at the folly of the EU over the whole monopoly bruhaha?