View Single Post
Old 05-25-07, 08:04 AM   #75
schuey74
GTX 280 (675/1458/2500)

Default Re: Kentsfield/Quad-Core Overclocking Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhw100
Thank you and good to know. I intend on only water cooling the CPU. I'm not stressing the 3 vcards and this 680i doesn't appear to need a ton of volts to keep things stable...at least as far as I've seen up to ~3.66Ghz. I would like to keep it running 24/7 at about 3.7-3.8Ghz.

Could you offer a guess at how much of a heat drop difference would arise between a 3-fan versus 2-fan rad setup would drop the temps? Would there be much of difference between say a Swiftech GT versus the GTX water block?
IMO, if you only intend on watercooling the CPU, you'd probably be fine with a 2x120 rad. Now, that doesn't mean you won't get better temps with a 3x120, it just may not be worth the trouble since it's a bit of a headache to get that big of a rad mounted on most cases.

The triple rad would probably knock your temps down two to four degrees and the GTX waterblock would get you another two or three on a quad core. These differences probably won't make much of an impact on your OC, but it could.

If I were you I'd see what the CPU can do on air and stock (or close to) volts and then decide how much cooling you need. If your chips clocks well without much voltage then a dual rad setup would be fine, but if it needs a lot of voltage then a triple rad would help. Either way I'd go with the GTX waterblock unless you already own the GT. I wouldn't change blocks for two degrees.
schuey74 is offline   Reply With Quote