View Single Post
Old 05-25-07, 11:28 AM   #77
schuey74
GTX 280 (675/1458/2500)

Default Re: Kentsfield/Quad-Core Overclocking Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhw100
I haven't ordered any water parts yet so for the little extra money I might as well go for the better parts. My shopping list for the CPU is all of the higher end Swiftech products as you fleshed out above e.g. MCR320 radiator (triple model), GTX water block, an MCP655 pump. Is there any known better equipment?
Thermochill rads are the best.
http://jab-tech.com/Thermochill-c-260.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhw100
Also, is there any general rule of thumb as to how much this type of system is going to drop quad temps with a relatively modest OC in comparison to a high end air system such as a Thermalright Ultra Extreme?
Voltage will affect your temps much more than clockspeed so it's impossible to generalize it, but I'll give you an example so you understand where I'm coming from.

Example: You have a quad that does 3.2 at or near stock voltage, but requires ~1.5v to do 3.6. If you're happy @ 3.2 and don't want to risk pumping up the volts on your CPU, then stick with the Thermalright. There shouldn't be a big difference in temps (a few degrees at most) between it and water at those clockspeeds and voltage. But if you do want to run that particular CPU @ the higher speed and voltage, water would give you a significant temperature drop.....a drop which could be the difference between your CPU being stable @ 3.6 or not.

So like I mentioned in a previous post, the best thing to do is try the CPU on the stock cooling first so you have a good idea about what you're dealing with and then make your long term cooling decision. IMO, you should do that and post your results here so the kind folk at nvnews can guide you in the right direction once we know exactly what your CPU can do at stock volts. Plus, your situation would be a big help for many people on the fringe on whether or not to go to watercooling.

Good luck on getting a good overclocker!
schuey74 is offline   Reply With Quote