View Single Post
Old 05-25-07, 04:59 PM   #90
schuey74
GTX 280 (675/1458/2500)

Default Re: Kentsfield/Quad-Core Overclocking Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by einstein_314
The water in the loop is nowhere near the temp of the CPU. It's probably around 30-35C. If that. If it was the same temp as the CPU then there would be no heat transfer and thus no cooling....
Yes, you are right in that the water is no where near that high temp, but it's not 30 - 35c either. If you've got a video card on your loop then you can estimate your water temps very easily. Fully load your cpu and see what temp your video card idle goes up to - your water temp will be within a few degrees of that. Those are the results I've seen over the past six or seven years of watercooling when monitoring temps. When I load my cpu @ 3.6 with orthos my video card idles @ 47c, @ 3.2 it idles @ 43c. My pump is rated @ 50c and I don't think it's a good idea to run it constantly just four to six degress below that. I fold, so my rig is at 100% full load nearly 24/7/365. If your PC is idle more often than not and you're only stressing it a few hours of the day during gaming or similar activities then your pump wouldn't be exposed to the higher temps nearly as much as mine. And if there's one component in my case I don't want failing, it's my pump.
schuey74 is offline   Reply With Quote