From nvidia developer blog
COH DX10 Patch Available Today!
Great news! The long awaited and much anticipated DX10 patch comes out this afternoon 1PM Californian time for Company of Heroes. Developed by Relic and published by THQ this award winning game was extremely popular both with gamers and industry pundits alike. It stole a lot of work time here and was the 'most-borrowed-from-the-sample-cupboard' game of the last year. :-)
PLEASE NOTE: The DX10 patch will be available via the in-game download/update feature.
Our dev tech team led by Peter Young and Ignaciao Llamas worked hard with Shane Neville and the team at Relic to add the following DX10 effects to the game.
Added by MikeC
- Per-pixel lighting for all objects
- Percentage Closer Filtering (PCF) shadows: Multi-tap PCF shadows utilize Shader Model 4.0 sample comparison functions for softer, more realistic shadows
- Shadows for omnidirectional point lights: supports up to 4 simultaneous point lights with shadows using DX10's render-to-cubemap and Geometry Shader functionality.
- Soft particles. Particle effects smoothly blend on contact with terrain and other objects improving visual quality.
- CSAA support (Coverage Sampling Antialiasing): CSAA produces antialiased images that rival the quality of 8x or 16x MSAA, while introducing only a minimal performance hit over standard (typically 4x) MSAA.
- Short volumetric grass using DX10-instanced terrain shells
- DX10-instanced foliage and ambient objects
- DX10 alpha to coverage (transparency antialiasing)
Download a new beta driver for Windows Vista and the patch:
View a DirectX 9 vs. DirectX 10 video comparison:
DirectX 10 screenshots:
Testing notes from NVIDIA:
- Download and install NVIDIA ForceWare 158.45 driver from www.nzone.com.
- We recommend freshly installing Company of Heroes and applying all patches up through to v1.7. A fresh installation will require the following patch sequence: v1.0 C v1.4 C v1.60 C v1.61 C v1.7.
- Create a shortcut to Company of Heroes.
- Right click on the shortcut and selected Properties.
- Disable Vsync by adding “-novsync” to the end of the path - "C:\Program Files\THQ\Company of Heroes\RelicCOH.exe" –novsync
It is important to disable Vsync with this command line option for DX10 testing, because it can greatly affect scores, even if average frame rates are well below screen refresh rate if Vsync was enabled.
- Launch Company of Heroes.
- Go to Options C Graphics and set options as desired (see following section for optimal gameplay settings for various cards).
- Select “Performance Test”.
- We recommend restarting the application between tests. Testing continuously without restarting the application may cause slowdowns due to memory leakage.
- For GeForce 8800 GTS 320MB and GeForce 8600 GTS, medium quality texture setting is recommended. High levels will cause slowdowns due to
insufficient texture memory.
- SLI is currently not supported in the DirectX 10 path of Company of Heroes. If you attempt to run the game with SLI enabled, you will see flickering menus and textures, and likely negative performance scaling. We are working to enable this in a new driver to be released around mid-June.
- To take a screenshot from within the game, hit the standard PrtScr (Printscreen) key. The image will be automatically saved in your “\Documents\My Games\Company of Heroes\screenshots” folder.
- If you enabled a setting that crashes the game, delete “Documents\My Games\Company of Heroes\configuration.lua” and restart the game.
Company of Heroes DX10 (“d3d10”) FAQ and Benchmarking Guide @ Relic Forums: