View Single Post
Old 06-03-07, 08:18 PM   #3
Beamerboy

Default Re: NVidia and XRandR 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP
The NVIDIA X driver does not yet support RandR 1.2. Support is planned for a future release, but no schedule has been set yet for when it will be finished. On xorg-server-1.3.0 and higher, current NVIDIA drivers should support everything provided by RandR 1.1.

As for the crash you're seeing, please see http://nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58498

[Edit: Hit the post button too soon]
Yeah I am aware of this as a result of my testing today but thanks for the heads up all the same. And you are of course right, the current and beta drivers do function to XRandR 1.1 specification, but this still makes it impossible for Xinerama setups to use a composite window manager such as Compiz or Beryl since Xinerama disables the XRandR extension which is required to use a composite window manager.

I appreciate that XRandR 1.2 is a new spec and that it takes time to make changes and my post wasn't a gripe about that, I just wanted to outline my tests today and find out if there was a schedule for including 1.2 support.

Even when you guys do release a driver with this support, there are still issues in compiz/beryl with regards to desktops being larger than 2048x2048 which still leaves a problem for Xinerama if your resolution per monitor is >1024x768. So there is still a ways to go, but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Thanks for confirming that NVidia are working towards XRandR 1.2 compliance, I will look forward to the new driver.

Sincerely

Paladine

[EDIT] In response to the link, I am using MMCONFIG but I am reasonably confident that the crashes I experienced today were a direct result of trying to use XRandR 1.2's new built in Xinerama as I have had zero stability issues whilst using the Xinerama "option" in xorg.conf instead of trying to let XRandR do it for me. Again thanks for the heads up.
Beamerboy is offline   Reply With Quote