View Single Post
Old 06-08-07, 12:16 PM   #16
uOpt
FreeBSD cheering section

Default Re: Post your favorite programming books here

"Paradigms of Artificial Intelligence Programming: Case Studies in Common Lisp" by Peter Norvig. Gives you two things in one sweep: learn what the Lisp thing is about and how programming paradigms really matter, and how OO programming is just one of them. And the AI lessons are really useful and not abstract. They are practical little things that you can use anywhere.

"Introduction to Knowledge Systems" by Mark Stefik. A non-nonsense book that shows you how to arrange data in your program. Has nothing to do with AI or anything. Only with stretching your mind to lighten up a little and find ways to represent more complex things in your code.

There are various books that made me realize that C++ is actually worth the trouble. In order of consumption it is roughly:
- Multi-paradigm programming in C++
- The Design and Evolution of C++ by Bjarne Stroustrup
- Effective C++

"C++ Templates: The Complete Guide" by David Vandevoorde and Nicolai M. Josuttis looks awesome, too. I was disappointed by David Abrahams and Aleksey Gurtovoy's metaprogramming book as it replies too much on the boost library. I want the raw code.

My Unix benchmark results
uOpt is offline   Reply With Quote