View Single Post
Old 06-15-07, 11:41 AM   #12
Beamerboy

Default Re: NVidia and XRandR 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP
Beamerboy,
You're preaching to the choir, here. I discussed this with Keith at the last X Developer's Conference, and we agreed that a solution for multiple GPUs is necessary, but the work hasn't been planned by anybody yet. In the meantime, you could try to encourage application developers to fix applications that crash when RandR is not available.
Oh don't worry, I am already doing that. Raised several bugs on my distro's bug tracker already based around the XRandR issue as well as solving one or two bugs raised by pointing out it is an XRandR/Xinerama issue. I am not having a go at anyone, I think you do a great job providing support for linux, thats why I only buy NVidia cards and it is also why I encourage all my friends to do the same.

However, the latest bug I raised re Torcs has been classified as wish list as the devs don't think it would be practical to disable XRandR dependency on all the effected software (which would be a lot by the looks of it) only to re-enable it at some point in the future when the issue is resolved.

In reality, it would be much more viable and much more efficient to fix the problem at the source (xorg and drivers) rather than provide temporary fixes to a boat load of apps as a workaround.

It is however very encouraging to know that NVidia are actively engaging in dialog with the relevant open source projects, so I applaud your efforts there. I just hope we can come up with a solution sooner rather than later.

It is also nice to be able to have a discussion of this nature (this thread) with an employee of such a large company, without the usual fob offs we deal with every single day in the consumer market. I have every confidence that the issue will be resolved, its just a question of when.

Hopefully threads like this will emphasize that there is a need to deal with these issues rather than have them brushed under the rug as a minor bug, I see this as a very progressive and positive discussion.
Beamerboy is offline   Reply With Quote