View Single Post
Old 06-17-07, 06:16 AM   #25
-Ken

Default Re: 100.14.09 with 8600GT - random lockups

Hello all,

Please forgive the unsophisticated user level, I have been around Linux for a couple of years but still qualify as a n00b.

I think I can shed a little light on this problem, as I have been chasing it for a while.

Roughly three months back, I decided to upgrade my hardware to an AMD3800 AM2-64 with an Asus MB. (2) GB DDR-2 RAM and a Nvidia GeForce 7100 GS, Adaptec U160 controller and (2) 147 GB SCSI drives.

As I had a chance to experiment with anything I wanted, I decided to download several distros and see what I liked. The three that actually got installed and used were SUSE 10.2, Fedora 7 Test 3 (and then a fresh install of Fedora 7, when the final release came out and most recently Ubuntu Feisty.

In each one of these releases I have experienced exactly the same set of symptoms that are being described here.

I can also state for the record, this problem is being discussed in many different forums, including several places that I managed to find using Google and I have tried just about every single fix that has been suggested with no success.

What I can tell you with some certainty is that this is not distro related, appears to only happen when the NVidia driver is enabled, and apparently when Desktop effects are turned on (again from my experience) as I managed to use Fedora 7 Test 3 for several weeks without a single hangup but when I did the fresh install to the final Fedora 7 release and desktop effects were turned on, the problem resumed.

While I haven't replaced my video card (yet) I have slowly replaced every individual other piece of hardware in my system, starting with the motherboard, RAM, SCSI controller, SCSI drive (I have two so that was easy) NIC and most recently the power supply.

What I will be doing is setting my system to the generic NV driver and see if I can get some of the stability I was seeing in the past when I was not enabling the eye candy and I will be glad to post any progress I make as I see it.

Hope this helps.

-Ken
-Ken is offline   Reply With Quote