Old 06-18-07, 04:13 PM   #17
Ruined

Default Re: Blockbuster to withdrawn HD-DVD and expand Blu-ray

A bit more from MS:

Q:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpat, Forum member question to Amir
Hi Amir,
I've yet to walk into my local store and see an HD-DVD disc priced lower than it's BD counterpart.
If they are truely cheaper to produce, then this means the studios are taking the opportunity to rake in a higher profit.

While I cannot fault them for this, it seems like perhaps they should forego the extra profit to try to secure a larger footprint with the public (so that people walk into a store and see that HD-DVD is truely cheaper.)

If the average person walks in and see's the HD-DVD version of something is $5 more expensive, they won't be thinking "oh, maybe it's a combo disc", they'll just think "same movie, and the one in the blue case is cheaper".

Thoughts? Any word of this "cheaper" thing ever becoming a reality?

Thanks in advance,
Stuart
A:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amir of Microsoft
If you want to take this thinking further, you have to wonder why the discs are not even more expensive than they are (in both formats) since studios don’t make money on hardly any titles in HD!

So what we have is not a proper economic system yet so we can’t judge it that way. You have companies subsidizing production of discs and not passing on the true cost to their consumers. You have small market where companies are investing strategically instead of economically. You have consumers not being price sensitive, buying $80 HD DVD/BD packages, etc. pushing a documentary and HD DVD test disc ahead of Hollywood titles in Amazon DVD rankings.

But as we look at this market, I think we all care about the time the format becomes mainstream. At that moment, you have to think of big numbers. I think I heard Warner alone stamps out close to half a billion DVDs a year! On that day, competition will be fierce forcing lower retail prices and cost of production will be a key factor.

On top of that, you have to look at where the supply comes from. HD DVD is not cheaper to produce because its plastics cost less than the same plastic used in BD . It costs less because it is possible to deploy it in existing DVD lines and as a result, just about any DVD line purchased in the last two years or so can, and many are making HD DVDs. This volume availability will invariably lead to lower cost due to higher level of competition for the business. You know, the old supply and demand rule in economics .

In addition, a typical BD line is $1.5M to $3M. Someone has to go and buy this line and dedicate it to making BD discs. And that cost will be passed on to people. Companies will not subsidize this business forever and certainly not through their competitors (i.e. one replicator helping the other). This is different again from HD DVD where the same line is already bought and being amortized on the backs of DVD business. So every day, we get more HD DVD capacity online, without having to lift a finger, or write a check.

Net, net, when we step out of the niche/artificial environment we live in, the strength of HD DVD comes into play strongly and result in lower cost to consumers. And yes, higher profits for some companies if the consumer/competition allows it.

Finally, on combo pricing, that has not hurt the sales of the discs as compared to other HD offerings in the eyes of studios. In the grand scheme of few titles making money, it is hard to argue the point strongly to the studios when a disc sells as well as non-combos. But again, once the market expands and true economics set in, the studios will get a better picture of whether they should charge the premium. But one thing is for sure. Combo discs are an incredible technical accomplishment and solve key consumer adoption problems. If we ever have hope of making these formats mainstream, we have to deal with the other “format war”: that of DVD and HD. The combo is the true “universal” format in that sense. So while like you, I am not happy that a premium is charged for it sometimes, I salivate at the thought of seeing DVDs being replaced one day with combo HD DVDs and consumers not even blinking. Connecting this with the BlockBuster discussion, combo HD DVDs can be shipped to them as DVDs and wind up in all of their stores, whether they make a conscious decision about carrying HD DVD or not. See how powerful of a card this is?

Oops, this became kind of long. Hopefully you didn’t expect a short answer.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66GHz CPU | Intel G965WH mobo | 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2-667mhz CAS5 RAM (1066MHz FSB) | BFG GeForce 285 GTX OC 1GB | Dell E228WFP 22" DVI-HDCP LCD Monitor | 1TB Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Main Drive | 500GBx2 Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Scratch Drives in RAID0 | Western Digital RE3 1TB SATA2 Media Drive | External 2TB Western Digital MyBook Backup Drive | Adaptec eSATA 3.0gbps PCI-E interface | Sandisk External 12-in-1 Flash Card Reader | LG GGC-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD writer | LG GGW-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD/BD writer | Microsoft E4000 Ergonomic Keyboard | Logitech Trackman Wheel | Antec P182 ATX Case | Thermaltake ToughPower XT 850w modular PSU | KRK RP-8 Rokit Studio Monitors | Windows Vista Ultimate x64
Ruined is offline   Reply With Quote