View Single Post
Old 06-21-07, 02:23 AM   #8
XxDeadlyxX
STALKER!!!!!!!!

Default Re: Blu-Ray wins format war for the 3rd time in less than 6 months!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger
Yeah, here in AU Blu-Ray has in won. 10 to 1 in all HD movie purchases. Kinda sad, but I don't mind. It appears to have become a decent format. Might grab a PS3 for now. It'll be fine in my fairly humble setup.
It's hard to say that either format has 'won' or 'lost' here as the promotion of both formats here has been pretty bad, Blu-Ray being better but still lower than what it should be and HD-DVD having shocking (next to no) coverage.

However, on the 7:30 Report a few weeks ago there was a segment talking about the war, which I thought was good. At least there is some recognition.

http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2007/s1913925.htm

The www.hd-world.net site, the biggest fan base here for both formats, has stopped posting news on the front page due to the lack of support here, which is quite saddening. I presume it will still be months if not a year or two until either format even makes it into multiple DVD rental stores.

The number of purchases here has been so low to begin with that 10-1 advantage for Blu-ray doesnt really mean much. Best way to describe it is both formats are 'losing' here Also the number of movies here is relatively low compared to the US, most aren't even scheduled to be released here.
Main PC [Core i7 980X @ 4.3GHz] [Gigabyte X58A-UD7] [7TB of HDDs] [2x Inno3D GTX 480 SLI @ stock] [12GB Team Xtreem 7-7-7-24 @ 1500mhz] [Antec 1200] [Alienware AW2310 (general use/3D Vision) and Samsung 46B650 @ 1080p24] [X-Fi Forte] [Pioneer Blu-ray BDC-S02] [Silverstone Strider 1500W] [Creative Gigaworks S750 7.1] [Windows 7 x64] 3DMark Vantage - 38010
XxDeadlyxX is offline   Reply With Quote