View Single Post
Old 05-25-03, 01:05 PM   #57
Behemoth
radeon 9800 pro

Quote:
Originally posted by StealthHawk
Is it really that hard for you to believe it? That's pretty cynical, especially why you wouldn't believe nvidia was cheating when the clipping planes came to light.

Why the reversal? You said you didn't want to believe that nvidia was cheating without "hard evidence." But you are quick to believe that ATI is cheating? Without any evidence? And now we know that nvidia was employing a multitude of cheats....ATI has only been implicated in GT4, as far as we know it was only the shader re-ordering.
nvidia was lowering IQ, ATI was not.

As for reasons why they would remove it, isn't that simple?
1) They took a lot of flak over the Quack "cheats." <- Yes, I still think that was a cheat. Anyway, it tarnished their reputation. Removing something questionable shows that ATI has integrity.
2) Implicit comparison with nvidia. ATI owns up to what they did, nvidia won't comment on their cheats or admit they were cheating. This makes ATI look like a more honest company.
yes it is hard to believe.
i didnt say there was no chance nvidia was cheating, i even said in one post that the clipping plane issue was possibly nvidia cheat.
now futuremark caught ati doing driver detection and code alteration, and ati have admitted they did shuffle the instructions, these are hard evidences, they say much more than just a few screenshots and a guess in ET site, nvidia didnt admit anything, fureturemark did not provide any evidences, so i dont think it is cynical, a few corrupted screenshots plus a guess means very different to me than an ati confession plus futuremark evidences.
and yes i didnt believe a few screenshots plus a guess were evident enough to prove nvidia cheating.

i am sorry, i cant really understand how stop doing a suspicious cheat again makes a company more honest than just to prove it was a valid optimization. when people think its a cheat, ati appease them by not doing it again? does that mean ati agreed with people that it was a cheat? or cheat once in a while is ok, forgive-able?

as for gaining speed by shuffling instructions, i can only think they have changed the flow of control that results in skipping part of shader codes and workload that is irrelevant to GT4 sky and water. of coz this is just my guess.

Last edited by Behemoth; 05-25-03 at 01:08 PM.
Behemoth is offline   Reply With Quote