First of all I have to state the specs of system: I have a Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 (ver 3.3), a Viewsonic 20.1" VX2025WM monitor, a XFX 8600 GT video card, oh and E6600 Pentium Core 2 Duo processor. Guess that's we all need.
I have three oeprating systems running on the same harddrive, I just keep them there in rainy days, where I have to install, Uninstall, and reinstall many times the OS. The first OS is Windows XP Pro, the second one is Windows Vista Business, and thirdly I have Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty Fawn)
I'm not that new to linux since I already had Yellow Dod installed on my PS3, I know my away a little, that is, but don't expect an expert keyboard dasher when it comes to using the command prompt.
Anyhow, I installed ubuntu, usually I get an error during installation, when I use the live CD, that the program has failed to start the Xserver, the graphical interface, because no display devices were found, so I installed ubuntu by choosing the Safe Mode Graphics which ran fine and enabled me to install the OS with no trouble. After installing ubuntu, oh and by the way during the installtion and after I logged in I choose a resolution of 1680x1050 @60 GHz and I chose that resolution from the initial installation window just press f4.
So After I installed Ubuntu, I headed over to nvidia and downloaded the drivers appropriate for my video card which is ver. 100.14.11. I downloaded them to my desktop.
I began the installation by following the steps in this sticky post http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72490
and this is what I did exactly:
1. I searched the synapted manager for gcc and make packages and installed them both.
2. installed a linux headers package for my kernel which is the current one.
3. installed both pkg-config and xserver-xorg-dev packages
4. the nvidia-glx package: ok I had a problem locating this package. I mean I searched for it in synapted manager and I found it listed, but it was not installed on my machine, obviously the post assumed that most ubuntu owner would download this package first before using the Beta drivers released by Nvidia.
5. The two packages linux-restricted-modules or linux-restricted-modules-common were uinstalled completely from my system which resulted in the two files: etc/default/linux-restricted-modules or /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules-common configuration not to be found and therefore the following command could not be applied:
so I restarted the computer..chose ubuntu from the grub menu..and logged in successfully in ubuntu..
But, the resolution sucks, I went to the nvidia xserver configuration, and looked up my monitor and all I found was DFP-1 Monitor, with maximum resolution of 640x480 WHY??? really WHY??
I don't know what happened but it doesn't look good?
since then, and that happened yesterday, I haven't went back to ubuntu, oh and one more thing, the restritced managers module is asking me to install one of the restricted linux common packaged for it to function again.
By the way, before I installed the nvidia drivers, everytime I tried to open the restricted drivers manager I always got this message "your hardware does not need any restricted drivers" ...
can anyone help me please? because I've seen it all from this whole ubuntu stuff..
anyhelp is appreciated thank you all