I'm experiencing something very similar except that my mouse also freezes. I also haven't ever felt things would come back, so I've never seen the 100% CPU symptom you've mentioned. Reverting back to 100.14.09 fixes the problem for me.
I've attached my bug report when running with 100.14.11 on my Fedora 7, x86_64 box.
At first I thought this had something to do with the Livna rpms (Bug 1562
), but I removed them and installed using the official Nvidia installer
and experienced the same problem.
A good way I found to reproduce the problem was by running ppracer and playing through a few levels. Sometimes it froze right away, other times it took up to 3 levels.
If any additional information is needed to help fix this problem, I'd be more than happy to supply it.