View Single Post
Old 05-27-03, 03:43 PM   #22
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by Morrow
Did you read my post?

I said optimizations is the aspect where nvidia hardware shines, not standard instructions (like the ARB2)! We all know that the nv3x is slow in ARB2 but we also all know that Doom3 won't use ARB2 to render the graphics on nv3x hardware. So what is the problem besides 3dmark03 using standard code?

Isn't it obvious, the nv3x is faster in real-life games (except in SplinterCell) and the Radeons are faster in 3dmark03. So what do you want to play? games or 3dmark?
No, that's not what you said at all. You said "games use optimized paths where nvidia hardware shines." You also bring up AMD vs Intel so you are implying that most games will have specific paths which are optimized for each card.

This is not true of most games. Sure, someone like Carmack has the ability, time, and money to finish a game engine to his liking. Most most devs don't have his luxury.

Quote:
Just why does FP32 have 256 times more colors available for rendering than FP24?
I'm not sure if that number is correct, so I won't comment on it.

Quote:
It's certainly only for marketing like 32-bit colors in current games
Now you confuse me. Are you saying that 32bit color in games is unnecessary? There is a vast difference between 16bit color and 32bit color in games today. There wasn't back when 32bit color was introduced, because the art was not tuned for 32bit color.