View Single Post
Old 07-09-07, 06:32 PM   #1
H-Radical

Unhappy Weird NVIDIA crash after upgrade from Ubuntu edgy to feisty

Hi all,
I just upgraded from Ubuntu Linux 6.10 to 7.04 . I'm running it on a Sony VAIO Laptop with an NVIDIA GeForce4 420 Go 64MB. To get my card working with the nvidia driver under 6.10, I simply followed the instructions at http://doc.gwos.org/index.php/Latest_Nvidia_Edgy. But 7.04 Feisty Fawn hasn't been so easy and the updated version of this guide didn't work. To make a long story short (you can see the long story at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=492441), this is what I did to get the nvidia card working under feisty:
Code:
$ sudo apt-get --purge remove nvidia*
$ sudo envy -t
$ sudo sh /root/NVIDIA-Linux-1.0-9639-driver-with-long-name.run
$ sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart
And it worked! The nvidia logo came up and everything was just fine. The problem is after a while, it breaks again. The first time, after getting it to work, I enabled compiz thru desktop effects. After I shut the computer down and restarted, the nvidia logo still showed up but there were numerous problems: there are no desktop effects, eventhough desktop effects are enabled; the laptop power icon, the ethernet connection icon, and the update manager icons on the gnome panel don't show up for at least 20-30 secs; and the splash screen doesn't go away until I right click on it. When I go to Applications->System Tools->Nvidia X Server Settings, I get nothing. When I type
Code:
$ sudo nvidia-settings
segmentation fault (core dump)
when I go to compiz-gnome-manager, half of the options aren't showing up.
I thought that this was something that compiz was doing that was messing things up, so I cleaned everything and reinstalled the nvidia driver... again everything was fine, but I didn't enable desktop effects or compiz. I rebooted once, everything was ok; rebooted the second time and the X server crashed. Now, once again, I'm on the "nv" drivers. I don't know what I'm doing wrong in the setup of the nvidia driver or what is happening to it after a few reboots. I've spent over a week trying to get the card to work under feisty to no avail.
If anyone can please help me with this, that'd be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
H-Radical is offline   Reply With Quote