View Single Post
Old 07-14-07, 02:36 PM   #1
westis

Default TV-out quality and overscan

Hi,

We're building a custom playout system for public access TV channels. It's built in Linux, on the gstreamer library.

The issue is that we don't get the picture quality expected. We playout fullscreen through the composite TV-out on the nVidia 7100GS graphics card to a Kramer switch with RCA inputs.

Our current system is a Windows XP box where we playout through a RealMagic Xcard, an mpeg-2 card that gives very good quality.

But through the nVidia 7100GS TV-out the picture is not as sharp, which is most noticeable for text. Anyone who might know why? Should the picture quality not be as good using a composite out on a graphics card as when using the same output on an mpeg-2 card?

The second issue is that we probably need to overscan the picture. On an old TV we see the entire picture, which we shouldn't since the are outside the safe area should be cut, as is done with our current system with the Xcard.

Does a fullscree through the graphics card underscan the picture? I haven't looked on an LCD TV, but I suspect that there are black borders around the picture, as we already see the entire picture on an old TV.

Hope I made myself clear enough... Would be grateful for any assistance!

Thank you.
westis is offline   Reply With Quote