Thread: Reporting Bias
View Single Post
Old 05-28-03, 02:25 PM   #1
shteve

Unhappy Reporting Bias

For the record, I've had loads of 3d graphics cards (I mention this to show I have no particular brand/chipset loyalty):

Rendition (V1000? - creative 3d blaster anyway)
Matrox Mystique
Matrox Millenium 2
voodoo1
Voodoo2, then 2 of them (SLI-monkey!) - (2d was a matrox productiva G100)
ATI Rage 128 (still with the voodoo2's for Glide games)
GF1 DDR
GF2Pro
GF3 (pre Ti)
GF4 Ti4200
bit of a play with an ATI9500 non-pro (3 days!)
ATI 9700 non-pro

My current mobo is an nForce2 (Asus A7N8X DLX).

The recent furore over the benchmark fixing does concern me, especially the reporting of it. ATI's (so called) optmisation has essentially been ratified as a valid driver tweak by Tim Sweeney if it were to be applied to a real-world engine, yet ATI have agreed to remove it anyway as it's not in the spirit of a benchmark (like for like comparison and all that). nVidia's is an out and out cheat, pure & simple. nVidia's response is to say that futuremark just want to make them look bad.

The current "news" item from Volt about ATI's PR reponse seems to ignore this, and belittles it's content with embarrasing blinkered nVidia fanboy attitude.

I read and visit this site daily for nVidia and graphics card news/info and have done since my GF1 days, and whilst I appreciate you will have more of an nVidia leaning (everyone likes to make their team look good), I expect (read hope) that you'll think twice before sullying your good name with such blatant editorialising- especially when the facts don't support it.
shteve is offline   Reply With Quote