View Single Post
Old 07-19-07, 11:22 AM   #7
drink

Default Re: QuadroFX 1500 (Compaq nw9440) Can't change resolution

One thing I noticed while reading the log was that a lot of modes were rejected because their pixel clock was "too high". We look at the file and see

(--) NVIDIA(0): Seiko (DFP-0): 330.0 MHz maximum pixel clock

Then we see some modelines validations like this:

(II) NVIDIA(0): Validating Mode "1280x960":
(II) NVIDIA(0): 1280 x 960 @ 85 Hz
(II) NVIDIA(0): Mode Source: X Server
(II) NVIDIA(0): Pixel Clock : 148.50 MHz
(II) NVIDIA(0): HRes, HSyncStart : 1280, 1344
(II) NVIDIA(0): HSyncEnd, HTotal : 1504, 1728
(II) NVIDIA(0): VRes, VSyncStart : 960, 961
(II) NVIDIA(0): VSyncEnd, VTotal : 964, 1011
(II) NVIDIA(0): H/V Polarity : +/+
(WW) NVIDIA(0): Mode is rejected: PixelClock (148.5 MHz) too high for EDID
(WW) NVIDIA(0): (EDID Max: 119.0 MHz).

Now, I HAVE tried disabling the pixel clock check without results, but maybe I wasn't requesting modes. Is this a worthwhile effort?

Regardless, that is why I tried using the modelines here. I HAVE tried them with Option "UseEDID" "false" but all I ever get is a black screen. However, these resolutions WORKED on THIS SYSTEM with the 'nv' driver. Why should they work with nv and not nvidia?

This adapter worked just fine with no special definitions files (the panel "driver" file uses the DDC) on Windows. And the 'nv' driver can see all the valid resolutions and use them properly. So why can't the nvidia driver do the same? And how am I supposed to find out what those valid resolutions are if the driver can't pull them from the display? This panel is never supplied with a monitor information file which gives that information.

I'll try using the read-edid package and see if I can get the edid while using the nv driver (or while using no driver) and work with that. But I still don't understand why the nv driver can get modes, and the nvidia driver can't.
drink is offline   Reply With Quote