View Single Post
Old 07-20-07, 01:00 AM   #1
steventhomas42

Default NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX400 and FC7

I did a fresh FTP install of FC7 on my system last week with an NVIDIA Geforce2 AGP card installed.

I had no problems getting X to run (Gnome), but the maximum screen resolution was 800x600. When I tried to run xSANE for my scanner, I couldn't get to the buttons on the bottom b/c the screen resolution was set too low.

I downloaded the latest legacy drivers from NVIDIA (NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9639-pkg1.run) and tried to run, but it told me that I would need to load the kernel-devel or kernel-source and then try again.

I found kernel-devel and installed it. Then I tried again and it told me it couldn't find the source files, and recommended I use the --kernel-source option. I did, and it still wouldn't install. I Googled it and came up with the following command:

Code:
sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9639-pkg1.run --kernel-source-path=/usr/src/kernels/2.6.21-1.3228.fc7-i586 -k $(uname -r)
It builds the kernel module, flashes through a few screens, searches for conflicting X files and OpenGL files and installs the driver. It asks if I want it to update my X configuration file and then says it did so successfully.

When I run startx, I get this:

Code:
[root@fedora Desktop]# startx
xauth:  creating new authority file /root/.serverauth.4858

X Window System Version 1.3.0
Release Date: 19 April 2007
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 1.3
Build Operating System: Fedora Core 7 Red Hat, Inc.
Current Operating System: Linux fedora 2.6.20-2925.11.fc7xen #1 SMP Mon Jun 11 16:21:08 EDT 2007 i686
Build Date: 11 June 2007
Build ID: xorg-x11-server 1.3.0.0-9.fc7
        Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
        to make sure that you have the latest version.
Module Loader present
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
        (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
        (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Fri Jul 20 00:51:08 2007
(==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf"
(II) Module already built-in
FATAL: Error inserting nvidia (/lib/modules/2.6.20-2925.11.fc7xen/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko): Invalid module format
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to load the NVIDIA kernel module!
(EE) NVIDIA(0):  *** Aborting ***
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
no screens found
XIO:  fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"
      after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.
Any hints? I know that lots of people have troubel with the NVIDIA drivers, but this is the best spare card I had.

Any help would be appreciated.

Steve
steventhomas42 is offline   Reply With Quote