View Single Post
Old 07-21-07, 04:23 PM   #7
Redeemed

Default Re: Really confused! What home cinema speakers do I need for x-fi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK
Well prologic isn't going to get you discrete surround. Prologic converts any stereo source into surround by using "natural cues" (as how dolby describes it) to make some sounds come from the rear channels.

This is OK for DVD's and music, especially if they are specifically mastered for prologic usage, but you aren't going to get anywhere near the same effect in games that you'd get from discrete audio channels.
I am aware of this. ProLogic is no where near as accurate as discrete surround- but with games I'm not sure there is really such a thing as "discrete surround". I guess anologue 5.1 might come close... but it is still a far cry from DD or DTS we get with our movies.

For gaming, if surround is your primary focus, I've found that the anologue 5.1 out seems to work very well in most games- and for the ones it doesn't work well with there is ProLogic. Aside from EAX and what I've mentioned, there isn't much else one could do to get great surround in games. And even with EAX you need a game that actually takes advantage of EAX Advanced HD to be impressed- where as the 5.1 anologue route or ProLogic requires no real compatibility from the games' end.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote