View Single Post
Old 05-29-03, 06:34 PM   #8
bwkaz

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnzauker
So, if I understood everything right, the trick is to move nvidia.o from /lib/modules/my.old.kernel/kernel/drivers/video to /lib/modules/my.old.kernel/misc, because that directory is in modprobe's path, too, but it's not recognized by NVIDIA's "auto uninstaller"?
Yes.

Quote:
Then I just have to boot the new kernel, run the installer and I should find a new nvidia.o in /lib/modules/my.new.kernel/kernel/drivers/video
Yes.

Quote:
It could even be generalized for a thire or fourth kernel by playing the same trick over again, am I right?
Yes.

Quote:
does the other trick (manual decompressing and make/make install) give exactly the same results? This seems even easier and generalizable for n kernels.
Yes. Although if you use the other method (manual decompression, make nvidia.o, make install), then you won't get the GL libraries reinstalled. This shouldn't matter, because they're the same regardless of kernel version anyway (unless you move from a RH patched kernel to a standard kernel, where the TLS stuff changes -- I don't have any idea whether or how well that would work).
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote