View Single Post
Old 07-30-07, 10:47 AM   #22
Jon

Default Re: Really confused! What home cinema speakers do I need for x-fi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK
I am not sure if you really meant decoding here, or if you really meant encoding.

Decoding of e.g. DTS, dolby digital, etc to analog outs isn't a terribly useful feature, as most DVD playback software will take care of that job anyways, and that job isn't really taxing on CPU time either. Many cards that do have decoding support in the hardware or drivers will flash all kinds of logos on their box, but don't be fooled as this feature can be had on pretty much any card, as there are numerous solutions for this.

Now encoding e.g. game audio in to dolby digital or DTS to be sent to your receiver, is a whole other thing. For whatever reason, creative is actively against adding this feature in spite of many consumer requests. There is one possible method for you to achieve this on a creative card, but it has a few caveats, such as added latency and a significantly increased CPU footprint for sound processing:

http://www.driverheaven.net/general-...3-encoder.html
Errrr, I may have meant decoding. The trick Creative have done is to put dolby digital decoding in the feature list for this version of x-fi. However, when you read the tiny tiny print it says that its "using powerdvd" and they give you a cd with powerdvd 3 on it! Ok I was stupid enough to fall for it... and I have PowerDVD 7.3 anyway and it does the job, but I still don't approve of their marketing.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote