8800GTX + Direct3D8 + Visual C++ + XP = Random Performance Increase
I've been coding a lot lately in C++ & Direct3D8 (yes, i know it's old).
I use Fraps to measure the performance, each time that i change something in my D3D code.
Well, this week, i thought that i had found a faster code, cause, i was drawing more primitives, and i was having the same FPS.
The fact, is that the card was working faster, a 10% more.
I don't understand how happened, but, i was getting a 10% performance boost in all games. Global.
After a system restart, the performance is back to normal, but seems like after a long coding session, with a lot of tests, the same global performance increase is back.
Also, the memory usage, after the weird performance increase, is 600MB higher than usually, and after a long investigation with process explorer & another tools, i found that that memory was being used by the kernel, so, by a driver.
I was reading about that alt-tab performance increase today. I haven't that problem in my system, but, this new 'coding bug' is really weird.
I'll keep trying to find the key of this performance increase.
I'm using 158.27 for XP atm.
ASUS Rampage Formula X48 | Xeon 3350 @ 3.6 GHz (450x8/1.26v) | 4x1GB OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 Reaper CL3 @ 900 MHz 3-4-4-15 | 1 x eVGA GTX 285 SSC | 1 x ASUS EN8800GTX (PhysX/CUDA -> Burnt by nVidia 196.75 driver)
| X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty PCIe | 1 x Intel X25-M G2 80GB | 2 x 750GB WD RE2 7500AYYS SATA2 16MB | Samsung SH-B083L SATA | Enermax Revolution 1250W | Samsung SyncMaster 275T 27" 1920x1200
| Thermaltake Black Armor | BloodRayne 2 FSAA Patch