View Single Post
Old 08-06-07, 01:30 PM   #24
hordaktheman
Hans... boobie...

Default Re: Is 720P half HD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Gib-McFragger=-
Both 720P and 1080i/P are full HD. There is no half. It's either HD or it isn't.

evilchris is exactly correct. It all depends on your screen size and viewing distance. I have a 42" 720P DLP set and I sit about 10' or so away. It looks friggin amazing.

1080P FULL HD is just Sony Marketing FUD just like bloorhey being beddar cuz it gotz more Gigabytzzzzzzz.
Eh, I don't really agree with that. Sure, both 'HD' and 'Full HD' are just arbitrary labels, but 720p and 1080p are absolutely not arbitrary but actual physical dimensions. The labels are used to differentiate between the two and so there is full reason to use them, just like we use VGA, SVGA, XGA, WXGA, etc. as arbitrary labels for physical computer resolutions, or E6300, E6400 and E6700 to differentiate between Intel processors. I'd be pretty pissed if I bought a 400$ C2D and found it only ran at at 1.8ghz, and would likewise be so if I bought a 'Full HD' television that was only 720p.

Given that both HDDVD and Blu-Ray ship at native 1080p resolution, it only stands to reason that manufacturers differentiate between 720p and 1080p in terms that the consumer can vaguely understand. Sure, they're basically just marketing terms, but the twofold resolution difference definitely warrants some distinction between the two.

I'll agree that calling it 'Full HD' is somewhat disingenuous, but given the native resolutions of the media formats it's also somewhat understandable.

-Aristotle
hordaktheman is offline   Reply With Quote