View Single Post
Old 08-09-07, 10:12 PM   #2
Eliminator
The Man With Brisk

Default Re: Just went 8800GTX! Pics & Lots of Benchmarks

Splinter Cell: Double Agent:
- 8xAF

WOW! Now THAT'S an improvement! The game is finally playable. A giant 171% improvement here on the stock levels. The 7950GX2 had SEVERE mouse lag here while the 8800GTX barely any.

FEAR Stress Test:
- 4xAA, 16xAF
- **Softshadows OFF

- 0xAA, 16xAF
- **Softshadows ON

Well here we see the 7950GX2 about on par with the 8800GTX with AA/AF and no softshadows, but the 8800GTX pulls ahead a bit with softshadows and no AA.
**NOTE: In FEAR you can't enable AA and softshadows at the same time.

Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2:
- 8xAF
- **Dynamic Shadows OFF

A modest 45% increase on the stock levels.
**NOTE: Dynamic shadows are disabled due to the fact that current drivers after 158.xx have broken shadows in GRAW2.

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion:
- Self shadows OFF
- Shadows on grass OFF

Now this is amazing. Outdoors we see a 91% improvement on the stock levels. The game runs like a dream on the 8800GTX. Not just because of the framerate but because it's so incredibly smooth. On the 7950GX2 it was pretty jerky outdoors and had some mouse lag as well.

Lost Planet Benchmark DX9:
- 8xAF

A nice boost here. About 20% more in the snow level compared to the caves.

Colin McRae Dirt Demo:
- Motion blur OFF
- Shadows on LOW

- Motion blur OFF
- Shadows on ULTRA

Roughly a 60% boost on average between the stock cards. This game really brings modern hardware to its knees. Although apparently the latest patch fixes some performance issues with Ultra shadows. The demo never received this patch.

Overlord:
- Forgot to run the stock 7950GX2 here

A nice increase but interesting to see overclocking does almost nothing here.

Conclusion:
Overall I'm very pleased with the card. I'm happy that I don't have to bother with those SLI profiles anymore. Also mouse lag is gone now although that wasn't much of a problem with SLI but it was there. The card doesn't overclock as well as my 7950GX2 did in terms of gain but 630/2100 is not too shabby considering how hot this thing runs. I'm positively sure that it can go higher without volt mods if it had some better cooling.
BFG GTX 280 OC2 1GB @ 729/1512/2538
Dell 2405FPW 24"
3DMark: Vantage - P15397 | 06 - 18734
Eliminator is offline   Reply With Quote