View Single Post
Old 08-10-07, 01:20 AM   #1
1337_Like_ThaT
O.U.T.L.A.W.

Default Universal Pictures President believes HDDVD would fail without Universal Partnership

I admit about 65% of all my HDDVD titles are Universal Pictures, otherwise I would have no use for the player. With BluRay, my collection is varied with LionsGate, Disney/Buena Vista, Paramont, Columbia, 20th Centurey Fox, Sony Pictures and soon Starz Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Ray.com
Speaking exclusively with HiHD's Scott Hettrick, Universal president Craig Kornblau admitted that his studio is in favor of the format war continuing, despite the negative effects it has on consumer adoption. While its hard to argue that this war has driven down hardware prices and increased quality of releases much faster than if there was only a single format, consumers have mostly stayed away from buying either until a victor can be decided.

Kornblau now believes that HD DVD's existence is so fragile, that if Universal were to decide to go neutral and start releasing on Blu-ray, HD DVD would cease to exist. In fact, they are so dedicated to HD DVD, that Universal has walked away from additional financial incentives to release Blu-ray content, besides the additional revenue they would make by releasing on the more consumer adopted format.

There is hope, however, that this war could soon be over. Kornblau admits that once players reach $200, consumers will begin making their decisions about which format to adopt, and that is when Universal will decide who to support. As we march towards the forth quarter, it is very realistic that Toshiba will slash the price of their players for a third time this year (in yet another act of desperation), paving way for a $200 player. If that happens, there is no reason Universal couldn't monitor the holiday sales and announce Blu-ray releases at CES 2008.
Doesn't seem like Universal is backing away from HDDVD support, but will come to a conclusion of whether to go neutral or not after the holiday season

Gaming Rig
Inte Core 2 Duo 6700 @ 3.2ghz | EVGA nForce 680i | G.Skill DDR2 800mhz 4-4-4-12 @ 2.0v | Western Digital RaptorX 150GB | Western Digital 500GB SATA II | EVGA 8800GTS 512MB | Plextor PX-716SA DVD-RW | Plextor PX-755SA DVD-RW DL | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610 | Antec 900 BLK | Dell FPW 2005 20.1" WS | IceMat 2nd. Ed. MousePad | Logitech G15 | Logitech G9 |

160GB (60GB) PS3 Owner | DS3 Controllers | PSN: Res215dg
PSP 3000 Black + 16GB Memory Stick Duo *Locked and Ready for Resistance Retribution*
1337_Like_ThaT is offline   Reply With Quote