View Single Post
Old 06-01-03, 10:25 AM   #17
digitalwanderer

Quote:
Originally posted by Sazar
Digi... are you suggesting that nforce2 boards are not better than the current amd competiton ?
I didn't mean to imply anything of the type Sazar, I'm pretty much clueless about the state of the art on mobos right now since I don't plan to upgrade that for a bit. (That'll probably change in the next couple of months, I'm gonna start me homework on 'em and begin dreaming up a new rig. )

I was just posting up that ATi is getting ready to crank out some linux drivers and that I hadn't made the connection between linux support and set-top boxes and such which would be a damned good reason to include linux support instead of just "to make the linux hobbyists happy" (<--MY line, and no offense intended to the linux folks...I just haven't had the time to sit down and play with it yet. )

I get now that if their stuff supports linux they could start doing some non-computer products and just start selling some stand-alone stuff. (I'm thinking like a TiVo-clone & mebbe a multi-media entertainment center type box...heck maybe even their own gaming console! )

But I wasn't intended to mean ANYTHING about mobos, and I definately wasn't taking a swipe at nVidia's nForce2 boards...I've heard some damned good things about them. (But I am waiting until ATi's new mobo chipset comes out before deciding which way to jump next.)

Quote:
I will concur that if the via kt600 lives up to [p]review expectations than there is a REAL battle on nvidia's hands... but still currently the best board is the nforce2...
I can't argue with ya since I ain't really sure what a "kt600" is, but I will take your word for it. I've heard a whole lot of people say nForce2 is currently the best chipset to get, from both fanATIcs and nVidiots.
[SIZE=1][I]"It was very important to us that NVIDIA did not know exactly where to aim. As a result they seem to have over-engineered in some aspects creating a power-hungry monster which is going to be very expensive for them to manufacture. We have a beautifully balanced piece of hardware that beats them on pure performance, cost, scalability, future mobile relevance, etc. That's all because they didn't know what to aim at."
-R.Huddy[/I] [/SIZE]
digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote