View Single Post
Old 06-01-03, 08:49 PM   #20
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by Eymar
Really shouldn't have taken this long though. I had a little more faith in Nvidia that they would have refocused after 9700Pro was released and put out a product which made no questions as to it being better than the competitior's. However, roadmaps are planned well in advance so I don't know what they could of done in a half year or so. Just think ,the 5800ultra would be considered great if the 9700pro wasn't released (it probably be slower, but less loud and huge). Sure it's IQ perfomance wouldn't be great, but neither would any other card. The last year has just been really surprising, in a good way I guess. This ATI vs. Nvidia fight should be interesting to watch for a while. It be more fun if another challenger steps up to the plate.
It's not that easy to correct that many mistakes in a refresh chip.

You have to give nvidia props, they did get the 256bit bus in the NV35, which was the major complaint about NV30- that it's 128bit memory bus was holding it back when all the eye candy was turned up. They also improved shading speed a little. You really can't expect much more from a "simple" refresh.

Now, NV40 will be a new architecture, so all the other complaints about NV3x better damn well be fixed. It is a reasonable expectation.