View Single Post
Old 09-05-07, 04:13 PM   #33
wolfgar

Default Re: Rumor, strong one, about WB going HD DVD exclusive and possible Disney neutral

Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye
Isn't it Digital Rights Management?
Technically, thats what they like to call it.

In practice, its all about restrictions on the users to enforce their 'corporate rights'.

I would think it would be hard to find any end-user who feels they have ANY rights under DRM.

The honest user, is harmed. The criminals ignore and subvert anyway. It costs millions to develop, implement, and distribute (costs passed onto us). And then, its cracked within days anyway.

I have never ripped a movie, nor to my knowledge violated the basic intent of a movie copyright. (have you actually read that FBI notice. Jeez) But, I'm treated as a criminal. Assumed guilty until proven .... (um never).. Always assumed guilty.

The studios themselves (grugenly) admit DRM really doesn't work, but they don't know what else to do.

Add to that, that the Sony Blu-Ray extended DRM model allows them to brick your player if they so desire. And you have no recourse but to buy another one.

And, Sony has yet again, been found guilty of creating another PC root-kit. Actions always speak more than words: They just don't care about their consumers.

Besides, HD-DVD has delivered on virtually all their promised features, Blu-ray hasn't, and has no ETA. The studios are now realizing how difficult and costly the Sony implementation is. It will be another 2 years before a winner is declared. SO why not go with the richer, easier and cheaper option for now?

As of right now, and for the 2007 holiday season, HD-DVD is the superior and cheaper platform. The 3rd generation HD-DVD systems will be available early October. ( gonna get me one)

I'm already tired of this "format war", and its just beginning..

I have always strenuously supported the right of every man to his own opinion, however different that opinion might be to mine. He who denies another this right makes a slave of himself to his present opinion, because he precludes himself the right of changing it. Thomas Paine (1737-1809), The Age of Reason, 1783
wolfgar is offline   Reply With Quote