View Single Post
Old 09-17-07, 03:06 AM   #6
Rakeesh

Default Re: cable-card ready tv card

Quote:
Originally Posted by retsam
ok here is what im trying todo. ive been using an orb server now for a few years and have been using it with a mutli-tuner hardware tv card on comcast tv. comcast has its first 90 channels in the clear on its analog system so no box requered. with my current setup i can stream about three live tv programes at a single time because the decoder cards are hardware based, if this was a software based car i would be lucky to get one stream at a time. well now i switched to verizon fios tv and the first 49 channels are in the clear on verizons analog system. most of these channels are nothing more then local broadcast crap. so in order to get above channel 49 i need a QAM compatible set-top box or a cable-card ready tv card in order to get the channels on the new system. i hope that conveys what it is im looking todo...
I think the same thing would still apply, with the exception being the analog channels. The reason you'd need that hardware encoding with another card is because it needs to do mpeg-2 compression before it can send it over the network (otherwise there wouldn't be enough bandwidth.) But the CPU isn't going to be able to easily compress 3 simultaneous streams into mpeg-2 at once.

With cablecard it doesn't have to; the stream is already compressed anyways. It can just buffer it to the hard disk and then send it over the network to the clients on the fly as requested.

The trouble is finding a cablecard tuner that supports M-Cards so that you can have mutiple tuners at once. I don't know if any support that.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote