View Single Post
Old 10-05-07, 02:42 AM   #28
nopp0x00

Default Re: Crysis Beta can corrupt os

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemecb
Except that it would then have to write the corrupted in-memory version of the file back to disk, and I can't see any reason that it would do that. In fact I don't see why anything except a system update would be writing to a system file at all, they're there for apps to use, not alter.

I suppose it's possible they're overwriting DLL's or something, I know that used to go on a fair amount (is it even still allowed?), but it's hard to believe they would completely bork a system (especially a clean install as in the one case). Any chance one of the sites got a trojaned copy of the demo?
They wouldn't bork anything intentionally. I'd like to think that such a technically proficient group of people have a clue as to how not to mess up a potential customer's system. Your idea that those people with issues downloaded some maliciously modded version of a beta seems more likely.

Or perhaps these people are just morons who are playing an intensive game on an unstable overclock and then blaming the game for their carelessness. I know that in the past when I've pushed the envelope on an overclock too hard that I've had to go into recovery to get my system to boot again.
nopp0x00 is offline   Reply With Quote