View Single Post
Old 10-05-07, 01:23 PM   #12
david_e

Default Re: nvidia 100.14.19 + ipw3945: system freezes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlfarrell
david

you appear to be having almost the exact same problem as me! I too have an HP laptop with ipw3945 driver & nvidia xid lockups. Please let me know if you develop any solution. My problem occurs nearly 0% of the time unless I use desktop compositing via beryl or compiz (then its produceable almost always within 24 hours of use).
It seems to be the very same issue! I don't know if it's something in composite or is just that I am using opengl graphic: I don't use any game or graphical apps so I don't know if this issue occurs even without beryl, but while using some 3d intensive app. Did you try this?

Quote:
irqpoll, noapic, nolapic, all don't work. IIRC, even nosmp doesn't fix the problem, though I may have to retest that. I remember trying just about everything mentioned on these forums at least once. Do the errors still happen for you if the ipw3945 driver is not loaded?
I have used my computer for about 12 hours without any issue when I tested it without ipw3945, but did not test it more as I wanted to try shaundennie's suggestion and was hoping to get a better trace to help the devs to fix this.

I have blacklisted ipw3945 now and I will try to see how much uptime I can do without a crash.

Quote:
Thinking it was a kernel irq issue, I switched my latest kernel to tickless to greatly reduce the number of interrupts, though the stability level remains the same.
Same here. I am tickless now.

I have found this in my dmesg:

ACPI: BIOS bug: multiple APIC/MADT found, using 0
ACPI: If "acpi_apic_instance=2" works better, notify linux-acpi@vger.kernel.org

this problem started when I updated my BIOS to solve the freezing X with moving cursor issue, maybe it's a sort of bug in the HP BIOS which is exposed by a combination of NVIDIA and ipw3945 drivers...

I will post here again if I find out something.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote